If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (317) 243-3149

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Finding Mold In Your Indiana Home

5/1/2017 (Permalink)

Moisture problems can lead to mold problems.

With all the rain lately, you may have discovered mold growing in or around your home. Mold is a sign of a moisture problem that needs to be addressed to prevent mold from growing in the future. The mold itself can be especially dangerous to your health and should be removed and treated by mold remediation professionals.

Moisture Is Molds Friend

Mold happens as a result of excessive moisture. While mold out in the woods is perfectly fine, mold in your home is not a good thing. Moisture in your home can happen as a result of a leaky pipe, cracks in the foundation, cracks around your door or windows, poorly ventilated bathroom, and a damp basement or crawlspace to name a few. Due to all the rain in Spring is when most homeowners discover moisture problems. It’s important to address the moisture problems quickly, otherwise, mold can start to grow causing even further damage to your home.

Address the Moisture Problem

If your bathroom or basement or crawl space smell musty, then you probably have a moisture problem. While a dehumidifier may remove some moisture from a basement, you really want to identify what is causing the excessive moisture and fix the root of the problem. Moisture in a basement and crawl space can be caused by poor drainage from your home’s perimeter. It can also be caused by cracks in your foundation, leaky pipes, or condensation from poorly insulated pipes.

Moisture in a bathroom is usually caused by poor ventilation. After taking a shower, it is recommended to open the bathroom door to allow the excessive moisture to escape and air out of the bathroom. You may also want to make sure the exhaust fan is working properly and running when taking a shower.

By addressing the moisture problem and preventing it, you can greatly reduce the risk of mold from growing in your home in the future. Even if you don’t spot any mold around a moisture problem, it is still a good idea to have mold remediation professionals, like SERVPRO, examine your home for mold spores.

Mold Remediation

If you spot mold in your home, it is highly recommended to call SERVPRO of Indianapolis West mold experts. Our professionals will inspect, assess, and remediate your mold problem. The first step in mold remediation is fixing the moisture problem as mentioned earlier. The next step is to contain the mold and keep it from growing further. Once the mold is contained, it is removed along with the mold-infested materials like drywall and insulation.

It’s important to note that mold spores are microscopic and naturally occurring inside and outside a home. Mold spores are not dangerous and cannot be removed completely.  However, when mold spores are exposed to moisture they can quickly grow into mold colonies which can cause lots of health problems. When this happens, you should call mold remediation pros like SERVPRO of Indianapolis West to remediate the mold problem.

If you should spot mold in your home, call the mold remediation experts at SERVPRO of Indianapolis West at 317-243-3149 for 24-hour emergency service. At SERVPRO of Indianapolis West, we have specialized equipment, professional training, and certifications that allow us to restore your home to its pre-mold condition.

Other News

View Recent Posts