Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
SERVPRO of Indianapolis West is located on the west side of Indianapolis, and that gives us the ability to respond anywhere in Central Indiana quickly and promptly.
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first. Homes and businesses can become a dangerous place after water damage has occurred. The number one thing to do after a water damage is to determine is it safe to say in the house? If so, something you can do until help arrives is to try to identify where the water is coming from, then turn off the water supply to that area. Second, turn off the power to the area where the water damage has occurred.
If an area is safe to go into, you may want to remove some water by mopping or blotting with towels. Only do activities that are safe for you to perform. Wet materials may be VERY heavy, so be careful!
Leave the cleanup to the pros at SERVPRO of Indianapolis West. We will respond immediately to your call day or night. Our highly trained Water Damage Restoration Technicians will dry and restore your home or business to its preloss condition fast and efficiently.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (317) 243-3149
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.